What is the meaning of -rc1- in BenH's 2.4.x kernel?

Hello!

I rsynced master.penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-benh and got a
kernel-image called
	     kernel-image-2.4.17-rc1-ben0_1.00.Custom_powerpc.deb

Could anybody (BenH? :-/) please explain me for short for what -rc1-
stands.

IIRC there has been a thread where recommendation was to use bitkeeper
for PPC, especially as I just use a G4/400 and no *book and will
not do so as long as there is that soft-modem  (, which I regret too, but
that was topic not so far in the past).

Habit let me use BenH's tree my short linux-life ;-), and I it
worked fine for me. If there was any problem I wanted to follow, I had to
focus just on one kernel-tree, which made it clearer for me as I've no
 experience with other kernel-trees. (Probably that's a neurotic point
 of view.)

TIA for answer, opinions (and patience)

 --

M.f.G.