Re: filesystem for shared disk

Am Mittwoch, 28. November 2001 09:58 schrieb Chris Tillman:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:45:51PM +0800, Kin Chung wrote:
> > Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > >
> > >HFS doesn't - MockOS might (at least 7.5.x wasn't happy with huge
> > >partitions IIRC; 1 GB should be fine though).
> >
> > As far as I know, Sys 9.0.4 is quite happy with absolutely huge
> > partitions (I seem to recall that my ibook came with it installed
> > on one huge 10 metric GB partition).  I would guess that the later*
> > versions of MacOS would be happy with large partitions, although
> > I seem to recall somebody mentioning that HFS may get a little short
> > of inodes at large sizes.  I did have a >1 GB HFS partition at one
> > stage, and had no problems with it (then again, I never did get
> > anywhere near filling it up).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Kin Hoong
>
> There used to be a 2GB limit that was relieved around System 8 or
> so. But as you mentioned HFS file fragments get huge above 2GB (more
> than 64k each) because IIRC HFS splits the disk into 32000 pieces no
> matter what the size. So you really lose big for many small
> files. Also, MacOS Sys 7 would really bog down bad with more than 500
> files in a folder.

I experienced exactly theese problems. I created a 40G HFS partition and
copied my Systemdisk (HFS+), which contained about 4.5 GB of data, to this
new partition. The 40G Partition was full afterwards!!!!!
So putting HFS on a huge partition seems not to be a very good idea. I think,
I'll have to try something different.