Re: Switching to 2.4.12 found ADB keycodes (long)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 12:49:19PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 00:44, Ali Bahar wrote:

> A kernel which doesn't support ADB keycodes has no choice but to use
> Linux keycodes.

That's what I assumed. But then how do you explain their apparent
co-existance in ...

> > Also note that running 'dpkg-reconfigure console-data' had no complaints
> > when I ran it in an ADB kernel (as shown by CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y)
> > with keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 and an ADB boottime.kmap.gz!

this kernel above? Both ADBKEYCODES and keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes
were set! I assume that one (ADB?) has taken precedence over the other.

> boottime.kmap.gz isn't currently checked (could it even be done
> reasonably?), the warning only appears if ADB keycodes are currently
> used. I think it would be a good idea to show the warning at any rate.

Speaking only for myself, I would have liked even a gaudy banner
warning me that mis-configurations of this (with respect to the
kernel) could cause you to have to type-in '2==3' (or something
equally weird) for 'root'. Then I would have known that both kernel
and conole* packages need to be looked into as culprits.

I'm sorry that I can't be of substantial help. I am yet to sift thru
all the past observations, so as to draw a *solid* conclusion about
how/why things happened. Perhaps after some reflection I can weed out
the conflicting observations.
I'll be glad to help with any questions you might have, though, about
eg my setup.

thanks,
ali

--
"In Germany, the Nazis first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak