Re: Switching to 2.4.12 found ADB keycodes (long)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 08:42:56AM +0000, Ali Bahar wrote:
> tillman@azstarnet.com (Chris Tillman) writes:
>

> Thanks much Chris. This will be of great help.
>
> I don't mean to intrude into this topic, but I've ended up with a
> working (ie survives repeated boots, and works on virtual terminals as
> well as in X) configuration which has a slight discrepancy with your
> post:

Any input is welcome.

> > You can use an older kernel (with CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y) with a
> > linux keycodes keymap, if you use
> > append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1" in your config file to
> > pass the keycode config to the kernel on startup. If you don't fix
>

> root@disorder Sun Nov 25 03:23:38 alih> cat /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes
> 1
> root@disorder Sun Nov 25 03:23:42 alih> zgrep 'keycode *1 =' /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz
> keycode   1 = Escape
>         alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
>         shift   alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
> root@disorder Sun Nov 25 03:23:54 alih> grep ADBKEYCODES ~alih/src/linux-2.4.10/.config
> CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y
> root@disorder Sun Nov 25 03:24:33 alih>
>

> But I have no 'append' line in yaboot.conf and I do not manually set
> keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes on the boot: command-line. I thought
> CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=n would set this!
>
> If it's consistent with your post, then ignore this.

Well no, I haven't seen it work that way. There must be something else
at work setting keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes? Or maybe my
understanding needs some deepening...

> thanks,
> ali
> P.S. I've been on this problem for 2+ days>  . I have lots of linux/unix
> >  experience but, until a few weeks ago, very little in apple/ADB/HID and
> I'm an i18n newbie! ;-) And this console-data/NewInputLayer thing came
> right out of nowhere for me!! :-)
>
> --
>         UNIX: designed by programmers, for programmers.

Besides the PowerPC ports web pages (which I'm afraid no one will
notice except newbies who don't need to know), and the PowerPC release
notes for Woody, where else would you suggest putting this? Where did
you start looking when you ran into it?

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |