Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 07:25:21PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 09:11:46PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  I wonder if there's something wierd (and out of Linux's) hands
> > going on.  I remember trying to track this down when I worked for
> > LinuxPPC, Inc.  Things go horribly wrong if the disk is still mounted.
> > But that's not the case here.
>
> don't know

Well if something from the disk _is_ mounted then, there's a probable
culprit.

> > Perhaps OF 'opens' up something on the driver partitions and it's never
>
> no.  OpenFirmware does not use nor care, nor know anything about these
> cruft driver partitions, they would be of absolutly no use to it since
> they are filled with m68k assembly suitable only for consumption by
> the MacOSROM.

Are you sure OF doesn't open something up tho and leave it dangling?

> > closed.  I'm not totally sure myself, but I'm sort-of sure it's not a
> > Linux bug.  It's always possible, but it'd be a mighty strange race to
> > be in both 2.2 and 2.4...
>
> i don't see how it could be anything but a linux bug, OpenFirmware
> does not survive linux booting.

Erm, right.  And if we didn't properly 'shut down' OpenFirmware and it
had something open, that could cause a bad interaction.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/