Kernel Panic with mac-fdisk: It's reproducible...

Hi,

This kernel panic happens on fast hardware just after the second sync()
following the ioctl() as Ethan wrote previously. I can reproduce the kernel
panic on two of my QuickSilver G4 dual 800 most of the time with vanilla
mac-fdisk.

I wrote a little test case that reproduces this kernel panic most of the
time. the code doesn't need to write. Just read the partition map, sync +
reread it again = crash :-( Very basic.

On my slower machines (iBook, TiBook and my G4 Cube), it happens either
sometimes or all the time by lowering the sleep time before re-reading the
partition map. So as machine speed increase, it's doomed to happen more
often.

The backtrace for your reading pleasure:

vector:0 at pc=c0039d14, lr = c0039d14
msr = 9032, sp cbdd1db0 [cbdd1cf8]
current cbdd0000, pid=1222, comm = readmap

This is under the latest kernel from benh's tree (2.4.15-pre2 as for
tonight.)

Feel free to ask me more info if you need additional details.

LdS