Re: Supported models

on 11/3/01 2:35 PM using moldy cheese tillman@azstarnet.com engraved this
message

> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 02:16:24AM -0500, sloopy malibu wrote:
>>
>> i have an idea on this... how about a small Mac OS application that you
>> could d/l and run and it would read the gestalt id and report weather the
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> This seems like an excellent idea. Certainly better than relying on the
> Apple app; one of the problems with that is pre-8.6 systems don't have it.
> But ALL Apple-compatible systems would respond to gestalt. With reasonably
> clean code, it should be able to run on systems back to 7.1 at least.
>
> Would we need to put together a database of gestalt responses to support this,
> or is there one already available somewhere?
>
> It, like the list of models, would also require a little maintenance as time
> goes on. You would probably want to include models from the m68k port also,
> a mac is a mac in a mac owner's eyes.

well i looked into this this even... and it seems i will need ALOT
of nails to nail this jelly to the tree... it seems almost all old
world machines have unique gestalt id's which is fine but all
new world machines use the SAME gestalt ID (406) and they need to
be differentiated in some other way... i am still looking into this
and i do think it is possible tho... but this is the list i have made
with info from the list and web... if there are errors or corrections
i would appreciate any input...

sloopy.

  Model Name
        Machine ID:
        Model Name:
Power Macintosh NewWorld machines

    iMac
      233Mhz       "rev A/B" (bondi blue)
      266/333Mhz   "rev C/D" (five flavors)

      350Mhz       "Slot-Loading" (blueberry)
      DV 400Mhz    "Slot-Loading" (five flavors)
      DV SE 400Mhz "Slot-Loading" (graphite)

      350Mhz       "Summer 2000" (indigo)
      DV 400Mhz    "Summer 2000" (indigo/ruby)
      DV+ 450Mhz   "Summer 2000" (indigo/ruby/sage)
      DV SE 500Mhz "Summer 2000" (graphite/snow)

      400Mhz       "Early 2001" (indigo)
      500Mhz       "Early 2001" (flower/dalmation)
      SE 600Mhz    "Early 2001" (flower/dalmation/graphite)

      500Mhz       "Summer 2001" (indigo)
      600Mhz       "Summer 2001" (graphite)
      SE 700Mhz    "Summer 2001" (graphite/snow)

    iBook
    iBook SE
    iBook Dual USB
    iBook2

    Power Macintosh (B&W) G3

    Power Macintosh G4 PCI
    Power Macintosh G4 AGP
    Power Macintosh G4 Cube
        Machine ID: 406
        Model Name: Power Mac G4 Cube

    Power Macintosh G4 Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Macintosh G4 Digital Audio, Quicksilver

    PowerBook G3 FireWire Pismo (2000)
    PowerBook G3 Lombard (1999)
    PowerBook G4 Titanium

Power Macintosh OldWorld machines

    Power Macintosh 4400
        Machine ID: 514  (160Mhz)
        Machine ID: 515  (200Mhz)
    Power Macintosh 5200/5300
        Machine ID: 41
    Power Macintosh 5400
        Machine ID: 74
    Power Macintosh 5500
        Machine ID: 512
         'bxid' ID: 0x0000????
    Power Macintosh 6200/6300
        Machine ID: 42
    Power Macintosh 6400, 6360
        Machine ID: 58
    Power Macintosh 6500
        Machine ID: 513
    Power Macintosh 7200, 8200
        Machine ID: 108
    Power Macintosh 7300
        Machine ID: 109
    Power Macintosh 7500/7600
        Machine ID:    68
    Power Macintosh 8500, 8600, 8550
        Machine ID:    69
        Processor info:    PowerPC 604e
        Machine speed:    233 MHz
    Power Macintosh 9150/80
        Machine ID:    39
    Power Macintosh 9150/120
        Machine ID:    57
    Power Macintosh 9500/9600
        Machine ID:    67

    Power Macintosh G3 (Beige) Minitower
    Power Macintosh G3 (Beige) All-in-One
    Power Macintosh G3 (Beige) Desktop

    Performa 4400
    Performa 54xx
    Performa 5500
    Performa 6300
    Performa 6360
    Performa 6400
    Performa 6500

    Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh
        Machine ID: 512
         'bxid' ID: 0x0000302B
    Workgroup Server 7250
    Workgroup Server 8550
    Workgroup Server 9650
    Workgroup Server G3

    PowerBook 1400
      Machine ID: 310
    PowerBook 2400
      Machine ID: 307
    PowerBook 3400
      Machine ID: 306
    PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (1998)
        Machine ID: 312, 313, 314
    PowerBook 5300
      Machine ID: 128

  Power Computing
    PowerBase
    PowerTower
    PowerTower Pro
    PowerWave
    PowerCenter
    PowerCenter Pro
    PowerCurve

  UMAX
    C500
    C600
    J700
    S900

  APS
    APS Tech M*Power 604e/2000

  Motorola
    Starmax 3000
    Starmax 4000
    Starmax 5000
    Starmax 5500

Power Macintosh Nubus (AncientWorld?) machines

    Power Macintosh 6100, 6150
        Machine ID: 75    (60Mhz)
        Machine ID: 100   (66Mhz)
        Machine ID: 46    (66Mhz PreRelease?)