Re: Supported models

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:32:36PM +0200, Andreas Wüst wrote:

> OK, I now see why they are outdated, but I would not consider this as an
> excuse to not set up a page with proper, current, up-to-date information about
> supported models, and which distro/boot-floppies would be best to start with
> (just like sloopy suggested doing with some piece of software, which would also be
> nice).

such a thing would really have to be on penguinppc

> This to help newbies/potentials who are interested in Debian and are looking
> for information about their model. I think it would be the wrong way to just
> point them to the install-manual (which of course is great, and does also have
> to have up-to-date model information), so model related
> info about support or known problems could be pooled and linked directly from
> the ports main page. Just like the way its done now, but distro independent.
>
> This would ease the evaluation process of potentials a lot.

anyone who wants to properly maintain such a document should contact
me about getting an account on penguinppc.org.  (Chris?)

as for getting a link on the ports page, i suppose you have to talk to
debian-www about that, getting debian pages updated seems to have been
a somewhat slow process at the very least, which is one major reason
why i don't think we should bother trying to keep such a hardware list
there. besides the fact that a distro indepenent one is probably
possible and would make more sense.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/