Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > David Brown wrote:
> > > I can see background tasks wanting to run while doing other things in
> > > the foreground.  Do you ever go read something while the kernel is
> > > compiling, why not watch another scene from a movie?
> >
> > The time it takes to compile a kernel on my x86 laptop isn't long
> > enough to watch a scene from a movie.  Heh.  However, the time it
>
> Hence your CPU is too powerful :-) If gcc gets only about 10% of the cycles,
> things would be better...

I wish.

> > takes to compile a kernel on my 200MHz 604e is long enough to watch
> > an entire movie.  On TV.  With commercials.
>
> Hmmm... Apple system with crippled slow memory bus? My LongTrail has the same
> CPU, but compiling a kernel doesn't take that long.

OK, you got me.  I was watching a DVD at the same time.  But
seriously, I was exaggerating a bit.  You know that, right?  ~:^)
But it does take more than 35 minutes compiling 2.4 kernel with XFS
patch applied.  Anything longer than 30 minutes seems to blur into
infinity for Mr. Andrew "Short Attention Span" Sharp.