Re: OpenGL acceleration on a rage 128 pro

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Nathan Conrad wrote:

> I have a Macintosh G4 (AGP) with a rage 128 pro card. I've tried to
> 'apt-get install xlibmesa3', but after doing this, my computer freezes
> when attempting to run a OpenGL program.  For example, when I open
> glxgears, A black window pops up and the system stops responding to

Yes, I have seen this. Try using 16bpp depth instead of 24/32bpp - Rage128
still doesn't seem to like to do 3D stuff in 24bpp, or at least not on
Linux.

> keyboard or mouse input. The unaccelerated mesag3 works perfectly, but
> slowly. I am using a very recent benh kernel. XFree86 4.1 claims that DRM
> is enabled for the card. It should be noted that I also have a voodoo3 in
> my computer, which does not work. It too crashes the computer when I try
> to 'insmod tdfxfb'. The glxinfo spits out the following:

The tdfxfb may be broken for big-endian, I don't know. Or it may just be
because you have 2 vidcards.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN