Re: Powerbook G3, video device not found

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 04:25:53AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>Neil Macneale <mac4-deb@theory.org> writes:
>
>> I have just installed woody on my Powerbook Bronze, and I have hit a wall
>> trying to get XF86 4 running.  I have been running MkLinux for the past two
>> years, and I thought it was about time that I made the change :)
>>
>> I am using the 2.2.19 kernel, and I installed off the net, so I am
>> pretty sure all the software is up to date.  Basically, the problem
>> is that my video card is not being found, even though it shows up in
>> the startup message and 'X -scanpci'.  I included all the info that
>> I thought would be helpfull because I have basically run out of
>> ideas.
>
>I had to install a 2.4 kernel on my TiBook in order to get XFree to
>go; the stock Debian 2.2.19 packages didn't work with it.

I just tried that with 2.4.9, 2.4.11-pre and 2.4.13-pre... and all of them
screwed up my key mapping.  I am using mac-usb-us for 2.2.19 and it works
fine.  I'm using a 'macally' ext usb keyboard, by the way.  Why does it
change when I go to the 2.4 kernels? How do I get around this?

By the way, once I figured out the keys for 'startx' I had more success.
My card apparently was found, but the setting were wrong because my monitor
compained.  But it's progress none the less!

Thanks again for tips-  Neil