Re: PReP Questions

On Saturday 29 September 2001 11:26, Kaz Aoshima wrote:
> Yes. A few soundcards and network cards works well.
> And drivers ISA devices that is endian independent maybe works well,
> too. (ex. SoundBlaster, realtek8019 based ne2000 compatibles, and so
> on.)
>
> >1. I am interested in support for an ISA SVGA card and NE2000 type
> >network card.  I also have a sound card that I wouldn't mind using.
> >Right now I am borrowing a PCI network card and operating it over a
> >serial port.

I now have it running, but two different VGA cards don't work.  The
monitor stays in power save mode.  The cards are a Trident 512k VGA
card and an S3 Virge (2MB?) PCI VGA card.  I bought a cheap RealTek PCI
network card for speed reasons.  The Soundblaster driver loads and
finds the card, but I haven't tested it yet (ESS688 based card)

> The default config for PReP is on the kernel source, I suppose.
>
> And if you build it, write out the zImage on fdd, and boot from it.
> That is the useful check for PRePs.
>
> If it is good, write it on the PReP bootable area(= type41h HDD
> partition)

I found it.  It is set in the kenrel config at the end of the General
settings page.  The default is 'console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
root=/dev/sda2'.

BTW Is it possible to boot from an IDE disk under PPCBUG?  The old SCSI
drive I was experimenting with is getting way too many bad sectors to
be useful so I installed onto an IDE drive.  When I try to boot from
that I get the following:

PPC1-Bug>pboot 2 0

Booting from: PC87303IDE, Controller 2, Drive 0

Device Name : /pci@80000000/pci8086,484@b,0/PNP0600@1f0/harddisk@0

Boot Logic Error

Packet Status: 0800

The partitions are:
hda1 PReP boot		25MB	(This used to be /boot on an x86 installation)
hda2 Swap 		100MB
hda3 Root		2GB
hda4 MP3 storage	17GB

hdb1 MP3 storage	27GB