Re: PReP Questions

Hi,

PReP Questions
@ Fri, 28 Sep 2001 20:16:50 -0400
Shawn D'Alimonte wrote :
>I recently aquired an old Motorola PReP board and am in the process of
>installing Debian/potato on it.  The board is an AT form factor board,
>probably an 'Atlas' from the manuals I looked at on the web.
>
>Are ISA devices supported?  I see ISA devices in the kernel
>configuration but some HDD troubles have kept me from building a new
>kernel.

Yes. A few soundcards and network cards works well.
And drivers ISA devices that is endian independent maybe works well, too.
(ex. SoundBlaster, realtek8019 based ne2000 compatibles, and so on.)

>1. I am interested in support for an ISA SVGA card and NE2000 type
>network card.  I also have a sound card that I wouldn't mind using.
>Right now I am borrowing a PCI network card and operating it over a
>serial port.
>
>Right now both are ignored by the PPCBug and the kernel.  According to
>the manual PPCBug should use a VGA card if it is present.  The cards
>worked in the 386 I borrowed the chassis from.

The card that works on Motorola's PReP is the special card for its
own, I suppose.

Any devices that doesn't control under PPC-Bug (= cannot check on
PPCDiag mode) works well if kernel have its driver.
The PReP machines load zImage(= compressed kernel) from type41h
area. PPCBug works till this action.
All devices on PReP machine wake up with the zImage itself, not PPCBug,
if under Linux.

>2. When I do have a kernel built do I just dd it to the PReP boot
>partition?  Is arch/ppc/boot/zImage the correct file?

Yes.

>3. How do I set the default kernel boot parameters?  I can change them
>during the boot, but don't know where the defaults are set.

The default config for PReP is on the kernel source, I suppose.

And if you build it, write out the zImage on fdd, and boot from it.
That is the useful check for PRePs.

If it is good, write it on the PReP bootable area(= type41h HDD partition)

Best regards.
Kaz Aoshima = Editor of the PReP station
Solid Surface Lab. of Material development,
Faculty of engineering, Tohoku University, Japan
E-mail:aoshimak@mail.cc.tohoku.ac.jp
#I would appreciate if you could give me suggestions
 for my impolite English expressions.