Re[2]: PReP Questions

Hi there,

Re: PReP Questions
@ Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:02:44 -0400
Shawn D'Alimonte wrote :
>On Saturday 29 September 2001 11:26, Kaz Aoshima wrote:
>> Yes. A few soundcards and network cards works well.
>> And drivers ISA devices that is endian independent maybe works well,
>> too. (ex. SoundBlaster, realtek8019 based ne2000 compatibles, and so
>> on.)
>>
>> >1. I am interested in support for an ISA SVGA card and NE2000 type
>> >network card.  I also have a sound card that I wouldn't mind using.
>> >Right now I am borrowing a PCI network card and operating it over a
>> >serial port.
>
>I now have it running, but two different VGA cards don't work.  The
>monitor stays in power save mode.  The cards are a Trident 512k VGA
>card and an S3 Virge (2MB?) PCI VGA card.  I bought a cheap RealTek PCI
>network card for speed reasons.  The Soundblaster driver loads and
>finds the card, but I haven't tested it yet (ESS688 based card)

I suppose Motorola's PReP need to use the original VGA card only for
its own.
This is special, BIOS chip less, CirrusLogic5434 based VGA card.

RealTek8029 based PCI card works well, too.

>> The default config for PReP is on the kernel source, I suppose.
>>
>> And if you build it, write out the zImage on fdd, and boot from it.
>> That is the useful check for PRePs.
>>
>> If it is good, write it on the PReP bootable area(= type41h HDD
>> partition)
>
>I found it.  It is set in the kenrel config at the end of the General
>settings page.  The default is 'console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
>root=/dev/sda2'.

Yes. This is the default option when boot up.
"console=" is the option for serial console, especially IBMs'.
Motorola's have its own serial console of PPCBug.
If you dont connect any mouses, keybords, VGAs, So COM1 is the port for
serial console for PPCBug.
If you can see this, Linux use the console for the default console.
So you need not set the options for serial console on Linux any more.

>BTW Is it possible to boot from an IDE disk under PPCBUG?  The old SCSI
>drive I was experimenting with is getting way too many bad sectors to
>be useful so I installed onto an IDE drive.  When I try to boot from
>that I get the following:

Motorola's cannot boot from IDE disk well, I suppose.
But you can use IDE as a root disk drive after you boot zImage from
SCSI disk, FDD, CDROM. (The kernel need to have IDE driver.)
IDE works well under Linux kernel.

If you have a IDE enabled zImage, you would put the option like this:

linux boot:  root=/dev/hda3

It is a nice idea that you put a very very small SCSI HDD for only
boot up zImage(= only use for PReP bootable area. 10MB is too big
for this use :-) ).
I have a machine to boot up from CDR, and root is on IDE.

#I suppose IDE disks need for NT only. So boot NT under ARC firmware
#works well. But PPCBug in not good at IDE handling.
#You DONT use ARC firmware because Linux cannot boot up any more.

Best regards.
Kaz Aoshima = Editor of the PReP station
Solid Surface Lab. of Material development,
Faculty of engineering, Tohoku University, Japan
E-mail:aoshimak@mail.cc.tohoku.ac.jp
#I would appreciate if you could give me suggestions
 for my impolite English expressions.