Re: .config for boot-floppy-hfs.img

On 27-Sep-2001 Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:52:43AM +0200, damsnet@free.fr wrote:
>>
>> you mean I should not use arch/ppc/boot/zvmlinux for a bootdisk? That's a
>> very
>> interesting information since I always used this one :) and that's probably
>> why
>> it never worked. I suppose the right one is arch/ppc/coffboot/vmlinux.coff .
>> thanks a lot for this info.
>
> vmlinux.coff is only for OpenFirmware booting, and only on OldWorlds.
> (it fails miserably on newworlds).

yes, that's ok because it is for a couple of Performa 6400 (oldworlds).

>> If you know more about making a bootable cd with that all, it will be great
>> too...
>
> its impossible on oldworld, not without lots of kludgery and expensive
> proprietary software on a proprietary OS, and requiring a licence to
> distribute the result.  thats why debian will never have oldworld
> bootable CDs.

the LinuxPPC 2000 cd is bootable on my Performa, and it shows a nice splash
screen with "Yaboot" on boot. And then I can choose graphically between
different kernels by clicking them and boot. Do you think it needs some
proprietary software to do that? The iso of this cd can be freely downloaded on
the linuxppc site.