Re: HFS Plus on Linux ?

In debian.powerpc, Ethan Benson wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 11:21:13AM +0200, bda@free.fr wrote:
[on HFS+ under Linux]
>hfsplusutils as as close as you will ever get.
[...]
>nope, there is no linux filesystem driver for HFS+ that works, and
>likly never will be, there was some work going on but it stalled and
>died.

Why is this? If hfsplusutils can happily read from HFS+ volumes, it
says to me that the structure of the filesystem is reasonably well
documented.. and I can't think of a significant reason why this would
not be possible. Mind you, I've never worked with the kernel, so I'm
no expert -- there's probably something I'm missing. :)

I have definite reasons for desiring HFS+ under Linux, at least until
MacOS 10.1 comes out. At that point, read-write UFS would be "good
enough" (yes, I know that that's experimental at the moment.) The main
reason is that it would be really, really nice to have a large volume
on my iBook (already created :) that I can share between Mac OS 9, Mac
OS 10, and Linux, simply as a working area. I can get either the first
two easily, or the last two if I accept experimental drivers.. but not
all three.

If it isn't possible, well, I can live with it.. but it would be
really nice to have.

Cheers.

--
Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. The competent, of course,
make it their *first* resort.