Re: woody installation confusion

Andreas Wüst <andiw@pop.agri.ch> wrote:

Hi,

> After reading this one can say that it is, at the moment, impossible to
> install woody on a ppc machine?

I did it on a Tibook 2 days ago, and my Debian runs just fine at the
moment (I made a bootable CD 1 of Woody using my local mirror --
boot-floppies 3.0.13). *But* the boot-floppies are quite broken :

 - it will hang up if you configure your keyboard, leave it as it is
for the installation, then reconfigure it later (could be my fault --
bad choice ?) ;
 - the installer mounts ext2 partitions with type usbdevfs, you'll
have to remount them manually before continuing ;
 - it refuses to activate a swap partition, but this one could be my
fault (bad type on this very partition ?) ;
 - there are a bunch of warnings printed out each time you do
something, but it seems to be harmless ;
 - you'll have to write a yaboot.conf by hand, then run mkofboot and
ybin (chroot to /target, then mount /proc, run mkofboot and ybin).

After that, it's like any other Debian installation, it runs just fine
once rebooted.

So, uhm, actually for a clueless user it's impossible. I'm going to
file some bugs on the boot-floppies package.

This list was of a great help while installing/configuring the Tibook,
thanks to all the contributors.

 -- JB.