Re: New with PPC soon...

Jason E. Stewart wrote:
"Michel Dänzer" <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch> writes:

Maybe I should thank Hans for scaring me off his crap. ;)

Sorry Michel,

I haven't been following the thread. What caused you to switch from
reiser to xfs?

A few posts earlier I wrote:

Let me take this opportunity to warn people not to trust any important data
to reiserfs. I've seen it lose all data on my gf's cube from one second to
the other. I considered that a personal warning to move to something better.

It happened like this: I was running the routine apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade . While installing the new packages, it suddenly aborted because it couldn't find a binary. I thought 'wtf?' and looked where the binary had gone. I tried, that is, because /bin/ls was 'No such file or directory'. I slowly realized that it couldn't find _any_ binaries anymore. And then after a reboot, it couldn't find /sbin/init nor /bin/sh ... all files are lost AFAICT. Maybe one day I'll try to put the disk in the i386 box and mess with debugreiserfs and whatnot, but I'm not very keen to do that.

So please everybody, _don't_ use reiserfs unless you

* don't care about the data or make regular backups
* like it slow (I thought it was fast at first, but either I was wrong or it
  degraded horribly as the filesystem grew)
* have very little space (it is the most space effective fs)