Re: New with PPC soon...

Colin Walters wrote:

> Michel Dänzer <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > I am using: rsync -arHpogDtxz -e ssh ... This preserves hardlinks,
> > ownerships, permissions and timestamps and doesn't cross filesystem
> > boundaries. The latter may not work with separate partitions for
> > /usr and whatnot.
>
> The -a option in rsync is the same as -rlptgoD.

Oh. I just looked at the output of rsync -h and picked what looked useful. I
knew -a was an abbreviation but didn't bother reading up what for.

> So you've added -Htx. The -Ht options definitely look good, I'll have to
> remember them.  But why -x?

To prevent it from backing up /boot, /proc etc.

> > This probably doesn't matter too much after a fresh install, but my
> > filesystem is 8 gigs...
>
> Well, -H will make things go more slowly.  Perhaps not a big deal
> though.

Hmm, if I had known that I'd probably have left it out. Took 2.5 hours either
way to move 8.5 gigs...

> > I've had to edit /etc/mtab to make mkfs.xfs believe that it can
> > actually safely create the filesystem.
>
> ??  That's bizarre, /etc/mtab should have been overwritten on reboot.
> Ah, I think I know why this happened.  I forgot to list two important
> steps.
>
> 4½) Before you reboot using the NFS root, you need to change your
> fstab on the remote computer's image to look like:
>
>   192.168.5.76:/ / nfs defaults 0 0
>   /dev/hdX /boot ext2 rw 0 2  # change X to your /boot partition
>   proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
>   # plus any swap partitions
>
> 7½) Change the filesystem type of / from ext2 to xfs in your new
>     /mnt/etc/fstab.  Also, be sure the "options" field is just
>     "defaults".  This means you need to remove errors=remount-ro or
>     whatever.

And I assume the 'pass' field should be set to 0?

XFS has been running fine so far, it's a good feeling. :)

Let me take this opportunity to warn people not to trust any important data to
reiserfs. I've seen it lose all data on my gf's cube from one second to the
other. I considered that a personal warning to move to something better.

PS: Hey Colin, I remembered to remove you from the To: header. ;)