apt pinpointing

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
> >>Time for another plug for APT's wonderful pinpointing feature.
> >
> > Perhaps you could explain in a little more detail what this is?
>
> I've explained it in all detail here so many times that I'm tired to do it
> again. See apt-get(8), in particular the --target-release option and the
> paragraph with the install command about how to install specific versions.

I thought this might be what you are referring to, but I'm not sure how
much it helps, at least in the case of my xemacs woes.  I *am* doing this,
I've got my default distribution set to testing, and am using apt-get
install foo/unstable to pull specific things from unstable.  That much
is nice The problems I've found are:

a) It's a slippery slope.  Installing anything from unstable tends to pull
in more stuff from unstable based on dependencies.

b) As new packaged versions come into unstable and testing, they chase out
the old versions that were there, so if you update and then find out you
are worse off, I'm not sure how I can roll back to a version that is no
longer in the archives...

Please correct me if I am laboring under any misapprehensions here...