Re: New with PPC soon...

Colin Walters wrote:

In my opinion, if you have another computer on the LAN with enough
disk space, the best way to convert your filesystem to XFS (or any
other file system) is the following:

Pretty good timing, today I'm moving my Pismo to XFS. :) Thanks a load Colin!

1) Install system normally (be sure to install xfsprogs).  The only
   required separate partitions are /boot and /, although you can make
   others if you want.
2) Make a netboot and NFS-root capable kernel (this means enabling
   CONFIG_IP_PNP and CONFIG_ROOT_NFS).  Install it.  (You probably
   want to use kernel-package for this).
3) set up yaboot to boot that kernel.   Here's the relevant portion of
   my /etc/yaboot.conf:

   image=vmlinux
	label=linuxnfs
	root=/dev/nfs
	append="nfsroot=192.168.5.76:/backup/space-ghost ip=192.168.5.90:192.168.5.76:192.168.5.1:255.255.255.0:space-ghost:eth0:off"
	read-only

   Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/nfsroot.txt for an explanation of
   the options.
4) rsync -ave ssh --exclude /proc / user@othermachine:/export/

I am using: rsync -arHpogDtxz -e ssh ... This preserves hardlinks, ownerships, permissions and timestamps and doesn't cross filesystem boundaries. The latter may not work with separate partitions for /usr and whatnot.

This probably doesn't matter too much after a fresh install, but my filesystem is 8 gigs...

5) reboot using that kernel.  You should now be running almost
   entirely off the network (except for /boot).
6) use mkfs.xfs on /dev/hdX, mount /dev/hdX /mnt/image

I've had to edit /etc/mtab to make mkfs.xfs believe that it can actually safely create the filesystem.

7) rsync -ave ssh user@othermachine:/export /mnt/image
8) reboot using your shiny new XFS filesystem

Hopefully in about an hour...