Re: yaboot/openfirmware question [again]

On 18/08/01 14:16, "Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 12:51:29AM +0200, pejvan wrote:
>> Ok this time I really do think that os X install has fucked up my bootstrap
>> partition :
>
> again i would love to see a before and after image of your partition
> table.
>
> without data all we are left with is conjecture.

The problem is : how can I print this partition table to send it to you ?
The stupid pdisk for macOS cant find my drive :

Top level command (? for help): l /dev/hda
ATAPI - unit not ready
ATAPI - unit not ready
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/hda'

And i cannot get the stuff from linux because I simply cant boot it ;))

>> $ parted /dev/hda set 7 boot on
>> Give me something like : "the boot partition doesnot start here" :-(((
>
> sounds like an old version of parted then.  probably doesn't support
> mac partition tables.

Damn, it's the version from the Mandrake Beta CD... And i dont have the CD
anymore, so I cant get that version number. Anyway it would not help i think
:)

>> Thanks, i took a look at that, and the  apple stuff on ADC.
>> The ADC stuff is totally useless for my stuff, and the Sun's stuff seemed to
>> general... Do you think that reading the code of yaboot/ybin could help ?
>
> ybin itself won't be very helpful since it doesn't interface with OF
> at all.  the ofboot part of ybin would be helpful since its Forth
> code.   yaboot might give you some insight, but it really doesn't
> play very nice with OF so i wouldn't call it a good role model to go
> by.
>
> silo generally has nicer code nowadays (and supports OpenFirmware, of
> the Sun variety).

Hehe, ok. I use Silo on my old Sparc Classic machine. But if OpenFirmware is
as open and apple's version is compliant with the

Ok thanks for the tips, sadly, i wont be able to take a look at them before
the end of september... Too many exams and my job... I'm pissed off but I'm
brave ;)))

>> Ok i'm really brave ( ;-) ) and I used and hexeditor on /dev/hda (not hdaX
>> btw :-)) and changed my Apple_HFS to Apple_Bootstrap, as you asked, but i
>
> /dev/hda1 IS the partition table, its generally safer to edit that
> then the entire disk since its less likly to overload the hexeditor (i
> have seen them segfault when you give them huge ammounts of data like
> /dev/hda will).  it also contains any mistakes to the partition table
> instead of your filesystems.

OK sorry I didnot get that, I thought I had to hexedit my bootstrap
partition and not specially the hda1 then. Sorry. Anyway, hexedit was not
overloaded by my 30GB drive. Nice !

>> still cant boot linux, even with all the OF stuff I'd tried before...
>
> you must rerun mkofboot.

OK then I will.

>> So what's next ? Running the mandrake cd and
>> reconfuring/installing/rerunning the hole ybin/yaboot stuff ?
>
> rerun mkofboot, and send me the output of mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda

Mac-fdisk was not on the Boot CD so I cant run it :-(

> i NEED that info to see whats wrong.  its probably quite obvious, but
> since you won't show me i can't say.

I'll do my best to send them to you ASAP, but i must find a way to extract
the info I need and put them some place where MacOS can get them. It's
kindda pathetic isn't it ?

Pejvan