iBook2: mostly working

(Sounds like a Douglas Adams novel of some sort, doesn't it?
*ducks* Anyway.)

I recently (two-three days ago) purchased a brand-spanking
new Apple iBook (the new model, that is, not the original.)
I have installed Linux upon it, and so far, things are going
reasonably well. There are a few little niggly things,
though, and I'm kinda hoping to get a bit of advice from
anybody out there who's a bit more clued than I am at the
moment. (my Linux experience is mostly x86, rather than
Mac.)

Background: installing from the potato CDs (oh, ok, just the
first potato CD), then upgrading over the Internet. (Having
access to a fast 'Net connection at work is *nice* :)

  * Keyboard: When X boots up (see below), it works nicely.
    If it doesn't, though (or if I switch to a text
    console), it doesn't map the keys correctly. I know that
    this has something to do with CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES,
    but I can't remember the details off the top of my head.
    I'm pretty sure that the kernel I'm currently using has
    this parameter unset.  IIRC, the first time around, when
    I upgraded I was asked if I wanted to change the
    console's expectation of this setting, said yes, and
    promptly cursed myself, because I couldn't type anything
    (call me stupid :) The second time around, I didn't --
    but now that I'm ready to make the switch, I can't
    figure out how.
  * X: I have a USB keyboard and USB mouse. Sometimes, X
    recognises (and accepts input from) the USB keyboard;
    other times, it insists upon the laptop's own keyboard.
    I'd really like to be able to use both at once (so if
    one's missing, I can use the other without fiddling with
    the config file -- eg, when I'm on the run.) The
    trackpad is working, but it is *extremely* sensitive.
    I'd also like to get the USB mouse working, so I can use
    a mouse with more than one button (as Ghod intended :)
  * Booting: yaboot doesn't seem to like the configuration;
    it can't find the kernel. If I type in the full path
    (hd:14,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.5), it's happy.

Kernel version: 2.4.5. Otherwise, it's pretty much bleeding
edge Debian packages (I have this tendency to ignore the
Debian kernel package; this dates back to when I first
started using Debian.)

The only remaining wishlist (apart from the above, which are
purely configuration issues) is sound. Ah, well, I can
wait.. but it's no fun playing Railroad Tycoon without the
sounds... *sobs* :)

Many, many thanks in advance.

Config files attached (most comments stripped out):

---- yaboot.conf ----
boot=/dev/hda12
default=linux
device=hd:
delay=10
timeout=20
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
partition=14

nonvram

image=/vmlinux
        label=Linux-old
        partition=14
        root=/dev/hda14
        append="video=ofonly"
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.5
        label=Linux
        partition=14
        root=/dev/hda14
        append="video=ofonly"
        read-only

---- XF86Config-4 ----
Section "Module"

    Load        "dbe"

    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection

    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Files"

    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "Keyboard"

    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"   "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout"  "us"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "trackpad"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
EndSection

# If this is uncommented, even if I leave SendCoreEvents commented
# out, the X server barfs.
#Section InputDevice
#    Identifier "USBMouse"
#    Driver "mouse"
#    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
#    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse1"
#    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
#EndSection

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "iBook LCD"

    HorizSync   31.5 - 48.5 # NB: Guessing, and keeping the figures
        # conservative for now. Anybody got the correct specs?
    VertRefresh 50-70

EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Standard VGA"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"

    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "iBook built in video"
    Driver      "ati"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "iBook built in video"
    Monitor     "iBook LCD"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"