Re: iBook2: mostly working

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:17:59PM +1000, Mr. Stuart Lamble wrote:
>   * Booting: yaboot doesn't seem to like the configuration;
>     it can't find the kernel. If I type in the full path
>     (hd:14,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.5), it's happy.

sounds like you didn't set --partition when you ran mkofboot.  man
yaboot.conf and yet another reason not to use potato's boot-floppies,
woody boot-floppies have a `Make System Bootable' step that works with
100% sucess on newworld macs.

> ---- yaboot.conf ----
> boot=/dev/hda12
> default=linux
> device=hd:
> delay=10
> timeout=20
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
> partition=14
>
> nonvram
>
> image=/vmlinux

does this exist? if its a symlink is it valid?

>         label=Linux-old
>         partition=14

this partition= line is redundant, you already set it globally.
remove it.

>         root=/dev/hda14
>         append="video=ofonly"
>         read-only
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.5
>         label=Linux
>         partition=14

this partition= line is redundant, you already set it globally.
remove it.

>         root=/dev/hda14
>         append="video=ofonly"
>         read-only

this should work so long as your /boot is not a separate partition,
thats the only thing that would break this.  you have rerun ybin after
editing /etc/yaboot.conf right?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/