Re: installation

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Ian Eure wrote:

> hi there. i recently acquired a blue & white powermac g3 that i'd like
> to run debian on.

It's pretty easy. Just use yaboot. It's included in debian potato. 'quik',
however, won't work, and that's what it tries to install by default.
You'll just have to boot from CD the first time, and pass the 'root='
parameter to the kernel from the CD, and then run 'mkofboot' once it's
started. Make sure you've setup an 800k partition of type
'Apple_Bootstrap' for yaboot to install itself into.

> i've run linux (not debian :() on an older (first-generation)
> powermac. i was a bit dismayed that i was forced to use bootx (and
> therefore mac os) to boot linux. is this still the case? i'd really
> like to be completely free of mac os.

You could probably use miBoot or quik instead of BootX if it's not super
old (I'm talking like 6100 or 6150 old). I believe both will let you boot
without MacOS (setting up a fake System folder in a small HFS bootstrap
filesystem, with a fake System and Finder, to make the oldworld ROM
happy).

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN