Installation problem on New World G4

I am working on installing
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 "Potato" - Official powerpc Binary-1 CD
on a new world G4.
As far as I can tell, I have the base system installed correctly and
used mkofboot to
configure the booting properly.
I am unable to get the system to do an initial boot so I can finish the
package installation.

It begins booting, and gets as far as finding the USB keyboard and mouse

and then it just hangs.
If I unplug the keyboard and mouse, then it gets as far as:
Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k init 28k prep

It seems that it is having problems with the next step whatever that is.

I installed the stock base system, with no additional kernel modules.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug