Re: [Q] where to get iso image of "extra" packages

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 04:51:55AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:31:31PM +0200, Han The Thanh wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am new to debian and I have been trying to install debian to a G4
> > powerbook. I downloaded the official iso images for powerpc (potato) and
> > installed debian using them. Then I found that certain important packages
> > are not avaialble in the iso's (ssh, netscape, etc.), probably they are
> > non-free and cannot be freely distributed. I would like to ask whether
> > there is any "unofficial" extra iso image containing those packages? I
> > would like to have all (or the most important) packages I might need on the
> > local disk, as I won't have fast free internet connection afterwwards.
>
> ssh is included, but only on the NON-US isos (because of silly US laws).
>
> netscape is not part of debian it is in non-free.  non-free CDs are
> harder to find due to the very nature of non-free.
>
> you don't want netscape on powerpc anyway, the only available version
> is old, buggy and riddled with remotly exploitable security holes.
> use Mozilla instead (or use it via galeon or skipstone).

but some secures site think only netscape (4 and older) and ie are used, and explicitly test for them. There is a way to make mozilla masquerade as netscape, but i don't remember it. That said konqueror does this by default, aparently, and opera does the same.

I don't know if the mozilla trick will work for skipstone or galeon though. and
i don't know what string you have to use exactly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther