Re: do modules work with 2.4.x kernels?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:31:43PM -0400 or thereabouts, Colin Walters wrote:
> "Frederick V. Heitkamp" <heitkamp@pc1.attglobal.net> writes:
>
> > I have been using the latest benh kernels on my snakebite (G4 533
> > dual) powermac however modules do not seem to work.  Even if I try
> > to load modules manually using insmod, they don't "insert".
>
> Could you be more specific here?  Do you see any error messages?  What
> do they say?  Is there anything in the logfiles?  Have you tried
> running insmod with the -v option?

I didn't see anything obvious in the log files.

I going to do some further investigating.

> The modutils from sid should do the trick.  Are you running potato?

I don't know what I'm running.  I got a Debian PPC CD.  I think
it has 2.2r3 or something; whatever that is.

I looked in the sid binary-powerpc directory on Debian.org.
There's nothing in there as far as .debs.

I am also running the 2.4.x kernels.  I have to because
1) I have brand new hardware that appears not to be supported
in the 2.2.x kernels and 2)  I like the 2.4.x kernels better;
they seem more responsive and so forth.
This is the kernel I am running now:
Linux pmac 2.4.6 #3 SMP Fri Jul 13 03:16:49 EDT 2001 ppc unknown
AFAIK no debian distribution has the latest 2.4.x kernels.
It seems to me that 2.4.6 has really been a major improvement.
All the thinks I care about seem to work very well/stable in it.

> If so, I'd suggest backporting that package rather than compiling and
> installing your own.  It's very easy to do.  Just get the .dsc, the
> .orig.tar.gz, and the .diff.gz (if there is one), and then do:
>
> dpkg-source -x modutils-xxx.dsc
> cd modutils-xxx && dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
>
> It depends on sysvinit, so you might also have to rebuild that
> package.

I am more than willing to install .debs if I can find them.
Thanks for the tips on building them from sources.  I'd like
to install using the debian install system.  I'd like to know
how to make my own .debs is there a HOWTO somewhere that explains
the procedures in terms even simpletons like me could follow?

One reason I install from sources is I keep archives of
certain programs on my PC and update them using CVS.
It's less bandwidth intensive to compile and install
from CVS periodically  when the improvements seem compelling
enough, instead of downloading huge .debs or rpms everytime
a bug is fixed or a feature is added.  I should be getting
DSL soon so I'll have less reason to do it the way I do
now.

Fred