Re: do modules work with 2.4.x kernels?

"Frederick V. Heitkamp" <heitkamp@pc1.attglobal.net> writes:

> I have been using the latest benh kernels on my snakebite (G4 533
> dual) powermac however modules do not seem to work.  Even if I try
> to load modules manually using insmod, they don't "insert".

Could you be more specific here?  Do you see any error messages?  What
do they say?  Is there anything in the logfiles?  Have you tried
running insmod with the -v option?

> When I do an lsmod no modules show.  I even compiled and installed
> the latest modutils.

The modutils from sid should do the trick.  Are you running potato?
If so, I'd suggest backporting that package rather than compiling and
installing your own.  It's very easy to do.  Just get the .dsc, the
.orig.tar.gz, and the .diff.gz (if there is one), and then do:

dpkg-source -x modutils-xxx.dsc
cd modutils-xxx && dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

It depends on sysvinit, so you might also have to rebuild that
package.