Re: nVidia support: Where to start?

Sven wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:28:19AM +1000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> > Thanks for the speedy reply Michael!
> >

> > > If I had to deal with this (I'm glad I don't) I'd start with the XFree86
> > nv
> > > driver because it offers more benefit (decent 2D acceleration, XVideo,
> > ...) .
> > >

> > That seems to be the attitude of most linux users to nVidia (I can
> > understand why!), but somebody needs to step up to the plate - I don't know
> > enough (yet) to make a big difference, but it'll be a menacing learning
> > project *grin* (I'm a glutton for punishment)
> >
> > There's enough people out there with AGP GeForce cards in their G4's that
> > something really needs to happen...I was thinking the 'nv' driver as well -
> > what real benefit do console drivers actually offer XFree86?
>
> ah, but you don't have access to 3D docs and spec for it, do you ?
>
> So your best chance would be to reverse engineer either the macos or windows driver, and try to get something out of it.

Set your email client to wrap lines, would ya'?  And don't be daft.
Nvidia just released their latest driver for X4 for x86 linux that
supports not only their new GeForce3 but also their fancy hardware
assisted anti-aliasing schtuff.  Reverse engineering that would be
butt loads easier than the Windows or (gag>) MacOS drivers.

> DRI/drm/OpenGL is by no means a trivial undertaking, even when you have specs available, so good luck to you.

It's certainly not my field.  You'd be a legend if you got it done
for the PPC or better yet portable so PCI machines might even be
able to use it. <-duck->