Re: nVidia support: Where to start?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:28:19AM +1000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy reply Michael!
>

> > If I had to deal with this (I'm glad I don't) I'd start with the XFree86
> nv
> > driver because it offers more benefit (decent 2D acceleration, XVideo,
> ...) .
> >

> That seems to be the attitude of most linux users to nVidia (I can
> understand why!), but somebody needs to step up to the plate - I don't know
> enough (yet) to make a big difference, but it'll be a menacing learning
> project *grin* (I'm a glutton for punishment)
>
> There's enough people out there with AGP GeForce cards in their G4's that
> something really needs to happen...I was thinking the 'nv' driver as well -
> what real benefit do console drivers actually offer XFree86?

ah, but you don't have access to 3D docs and spec for it, do you ?

So your best chance would be to reverse engineer either the macos or windows driver, and try to get something out of it.

DRI/drm/OpenGL is by no means a trivial undertaking, even when you have specs available, so good luck to you.

I will be happy to help you with any question you may want to ask, but i know not very much about this.
Friendly,

Sven Luther