Re: reading linux from MacOs

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:06:15AM -0500, Phil Fraering wrote:
> I find myself wondering from time to time, if you don't have to run
> MacOS on it,
> why put up with the aggravation of using a non-X86 linux? Don't get me

i would never buy any of todays x86 hardware, a couple years ago it
wasn't bad but now its TOTAL CRAP.

> OTThirdH: Mac laptops aren't nearly as cost-ineffective for non-Mac
> applications
> as their desktops are.

the desktops aren't even that bad really.  considering the cheap intel
stuff is garbage.  you have to pay close to the same as you would for
a decent mac for an x86 that will actually be reliable.  another
consideration that may be relevant, those fancy 600Mhz/1Ghz Athlons
everyone blubbers about, are massive power hungry heat producing sons
of bitches.  you pretty well HAVE to have no less then a 350 watt
power supply for them to be reliable, else you get some obscure
instability (i have seen this firsthand).

> lock a certain file or directory or whatever and refuses to do anything.

/var/lib/dpkg/lock?

that is usually caused by another dpkg process running somewhere.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/