Re: new ibook?

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:04:24PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > So you tried it connecting an external monitor ?
> > >
> > > As MacOs only support mirroring, but the chip seems to be the same rage
> > > 128 mobility as the one in the TiBook, it should be able to output a
> > > second head also (altough it has only 8MB, right ?).
> > >
> > > So did you try it in Xinerama mode ? Or simply with two screens in the X
> > > layout section ?
> >
> > The r128 driver can't drive both heads independently yet. But as of 4.1.0,
> > you can choose between Panel or CRT only (which should allow to drive an
> > external monitor at high resolutions, unless Apple somehow crippled the
> > hardware) or mirroring.
>
> But it is only a software thingy, not a hardware imposibility, that is what
> i really wanted to know.

The chip can certainly do it, but maybe Apple artificially crippled it in the
iBooks? Let's not hope so.

> But then, if it don't work yet in X, then there must be another way to find
> out. BTW, i guess the problem is in the sharing of the accel engine, where a
> trick must be used like the 2nd head support in the G400, or the trick alan
> implemented to support the gamma on both permedia3 of the jeronimo 2000
> board.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I imagine sharing the accelerator between two
heads shouldn't be too hard. It's a single instance of the driver, and the
server is single threaded after all.

> What about work at the fbdve level ?

It would be hard if not impossible to use acceleration in X then, at least on
one head.

> Or a simple test program driving the second head independently from the
> first, but not doing usefull stuff, just to see it can work.

MockOS can drive both heads independently on my Pismo, I guess that's proof of
concept.

I don't really need that feature so I'm not going to work on it in the
foreseeable future. Someone else would have to.