Re: new ibook?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:04:24PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > Worked with 4.0....but I compiled 4.1 without a hitch. With 4.1 the ati128
> > > is supported AND accelerated plus support for DRI.
> >
> > So you tried it connecting an external monitor ?
> >
> > As MacOs only support mirroring, but the chip seems to be the same rage 128
> > mobility as the one in the TiBook, it should be able to output a second head
> > also (altough it has only 8MB, right ?).
> >
> > So did you try it in Xinerama mode ? Or simply with two screens in the X
> > layout section ?
>
> The r128 driver can't drive both heads independently yet. But as of 4.1.0, you
> can choose between Panel or CRT only (which should allow to drive an external
> monitor at high resolutions, unless Apple somehow crippled the hardware) or
> mirroring.

But it is only a software thingy, not a hardware imposibility, that is what i
really wanted to know.

But then, if it don't work yet in X, then there must be another way to find
out. BTW, i guess the problem is in the sharing of the accel engine, where a
trick must be used like the 2nd head support in the G400, or the trick alan
implemented to support the gamma on both permedia3 of the jeronimo 2000 board.

What about work at the fbdve level ? Or a simple test program driving the
second head independently from the first, but not doing usefull stuff, just to
see it can work.

Friendly,

Sven Luther