Re: new ibook?

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 02:29, Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> I am shopping around for a new laptop and I think the new ibook looks
> pretty sweet. If I do get it I would want to run debian on it most of the
> time, so I have a few questions about the status of hardware support.
>
> Power Mgt -- Are the power management functions (sleep, charging,
> backlight control, etc.) supported?

It seems to be with the 2.4.4-b3 sources I got from a YDL developer.....so I
am guessing its made it to Benh's kernel(it could be one of Benh's kernels
for that matter). Either way, it works for me. with the /etc/power/levels
file set '1 2'. I get quite a decent amount of life out of my batteries.
Sleep works just fine too.

> Video -- it's a Rage Mobility 128 chip; I assume this is supported in the
> latest Xfree86? Is there the ability to switch from the internal display
> to the external (RGB/composite) connectors?

Worked with 4.0....but I compiled 4.1 without a hitch. With 4.1 the ati128 is
supported AND accelerated plus support for DRI.

> Sound -- I heard this wasn't working; I have a USB audio converter so I
> can do without it for a while.

I hear its cause of the new "tumble" sound internals. Sure hope it gets
working soon.

***If there is anything a developer want me to try, I certainly will.****

Also:

cdr works
dvd works
airport works
10/100 nic works
usb works

and the vga out works(at least in consol) if you boot with an option of:

 video=aty128fb:crt:1,lcd:1

I suppose you could do that all the time with a yaboot.conf append, but I
don't know if that would add battery use or not.

John Hughes