Re: unsupported display? (dual scan on PowerBook 2400 & G3)

At 11:32 PM +0200 6/25/01, leif wrote:
Michael Blakeley wrote:

In article <3B379E50.50504@russisk.no>, lhs@russisk.no (leif) wrote:

Are you sure you have/had the dual scan version of the 2400c? There were one version at 180mhz and another at 240 mhz. Probably the 180mhz is with dual scan.

Let's make sure that we're using 'dual-scan' to mean the same thing. My 2400/180c has a 'dual-scan' video mode, which means that it displays the same video on the LCD and on an external monitor.

My PB has the same feature, but no, this is not what I was referring to. Here is a description of dual-scan displays:
<http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24295>
and I quote: "The dual-scan color passive-matrix display actually consists of two displays butted up against each other." I.E. it is a special kind of LCD technology. It was (is) a cheap color LCD display compared to the actice matrix displays which now (I think) prevails.

Ah - a dual-scan passive-matrix LCD. I haven't touched one in years: the 1400 was the last shipping powerbook with that display, wasn't it?

Good, now I understand you. But what makes you so sure that your 2400 has a passive display? The tech note you refer to doesn't mention the 2400, and AFAIK the 2400c was always active matrix, for /180 or /240 models. I've been subscribed to the DuoList <http://lists.themacintoshguy.com/Lists/DuoList/List.html> and been working with 2400s since they first started shipping, so I'd expect to have heard about it....

Some 2300c units had passive displays. Maybe you're running one of those? Maybe a 1400?

I haven't ever used it in Linux with dual-scan enabled,

You should call this 'duplication of the screen image on an external monitor' or something.

Personally, I call it "mirroring" (or display mirroring). But Apple's Control Strip module for 8.6 calls it simulscan, and I thought you might be thinking of that feature, so I adopted your nomenclature. Mentioning "passive matrix" would have tipped me off (or maybe you did, and I didn't notice).

but I've run Linux with both displays (LCD and external VGA) at different times.

My attemt to install showed that there were no problems having screen image duplication. The fact that the installer stopped when coming to X-install (I'm now talking about my YDL2.0-attemt), must have been because the intaller was in doubt about which monitor/display to take into account or for other reasons having become comfused by the duplicated view. Or - most likely - for having trouble with my dual scan passive matrix display.

I thought we were talking about debian? I've never tried a YDL install on the 2400. I dislike x-based installers, since they always seem to cause problems like this.

Anyway, if your chipset is the CT6550, like all 2400's that I've seen, then the debian potato kernel should work with it.

-- Mike