Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 12:14:04PM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:

> > http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/netboot.shtml
>
> I had tried your guide too, Ethan, but it didnt work the same way Ron
> describes it here (on a TiBook).
>
> I had first tried with a pure bootp server, since OF should fall back to
> using bootp if DHCP didn't work. No dice...

Brad Midgley told me newer machines are only willing to use bootp it
appears.

> I then tried with a dhcp server, for which I got the same log entries as
> Ron. And it didn't want to netboot....

:shrug:  maybe apple changed OF to use a non-standard, apple
proprietary dhcp/bootp protocol so that you have to buy OSX Server to
netboot macs.

> Gave up on netbooting.... but I may try again with standards docs at
> hand and a sniffer to find out what's up.

that would be the thing to do.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/