Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

Hi Ben,

On  25 Jun, this message from Benjamin Herrenschmidt echoed through cyberspace:
>>I had tried your guide too, Ethan, but it didnt work the same way Ron
>>describes it here (on a TiBook).
>>
>>I had first tried with a pure bootp server, since OF should fall back to
>>using bootp if DHCP didn't work. No dice...
>>
>>I then tried with a dhcp server, for which I got the same log entries as
>>Ron. And it didn't want to netboot....
>>
>>Gave up on netbooting.... but I may try again with standards docs at
>>hand and a sniffer to find out what's up.
>
> There is a known problem that you may be encountering: one some
> recent Apple boxes, when OF has used the gmac chip, it puts the
> PHY in such a state that the kernel driver can't find it.

Umm, no. The problem for me was that while still in OF, the box doesn't
succeed in doing bootp/dhcp/whatever to boot off the net.

This is not running a kernel yet; I'm still in OF land at that point.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |