Re: New iBook and Debian

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:28:02PM +1200, James Tyson wrote:
> >
> > I just ordered one of the nice new 2001 iBooks - the 128Mb/DVD version to
> > be exact.
> > Are there any Gotcha's that I should know about with this box? What
> > hardware is supported, and what's not, etc?
>
> as for hardware support im not sure how 2.2.19 likes them, i think it
> probably won't care for the video so you will need to add video=ofonly
> at the yaboot prompt when you boot the CD. (potato r3 CDs should
> boot).

I think the aty128fb in 2.2.19 should work fine without any interaction?

> > Hopefully you guys will have given me a few clues by the time the box
> > arrives on the 28th.
>
> ill let others comment on things such as kernel issues and X11.

There is good support including DRI for the Rage Mobility M3 in XFree86 4.1.0.
One interesting question is whether the external video will work in other
resolutions than the panel's. Both aty128fb and XFree86 can do it, but it
apparently doesn't work in MockOS. Hopefully only a brain dead software
limitation, but who knows with Apple? Someone will have to try...