Re: X on new G4 Dual 533

Pete Willemsen wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > fheitka@attglobal.net wrote:
> > > Also, lastly, is there an X server that works with the GForce2 video in
> > > my new G4?
> >
> > 4.x (in testing or unstable) has the nv driver, but I wouldn't expect that
> > to work on PPC yet. You'll most likely have to use an fbdev server. Does
> > rivafb work?
>
> Hi.  I'm also very new to Linux on a PPC.  Is it expected that these
> newer PPCs with nvidia cards will actually have accelerated graphics
> support via X at some point in the future?  For instance, will nvidia be
> release PPC-based Linux drivers?  Something like this would solidify my
> purchase of a new G4.

You'd have to ask them. I personally doubt it, don't think that Apple would
like the idea. ;)

The XFree86 nv driver will probably work sooner or later, but it has less 2D
acceleration than NVidia's and no 3D acceleration at all.

At this point a Radeon is the better choice IMO, even if it doesn't currently
work accelerated on PPC either AFAIK, we have docs and free code, and I hope I
can soon change it for the better now that my girlfriend has her Cube with
Radeon. :)