Re: X on new G4 Dual 533

fheitka@attglobal.net wrote:

> I managed to get a debian system installed on my new G4 533 dual. I have
> only limited experience with debian.   Please forgive my ignorance.

No worries, welcome Fred! :)

> I could not used the debian ramdisk image for some reason so
> I used the linuxPPC Q4 ramdisk. (The debian ramdisk would not go past the
> release notes and machine check screen.)
>
> So I had to moved the unconfigured.sh out of the way and do some
> configuring by hand.

Better use dpkg-reconfigure base-config .

> Can some one give me an example on how to install a major package like
> X11, off a cdrom using Apt?   Apt always wants to go to the  internet
> instead of the cdrom.  This might be because I have no cdrom entry in my
> fstab.

That would probably have to be fixed first, and if you haven't chosen to get
packages from CD in the base config, you must run apt-cdrom when the CD is
inserted to add it to /etc/apt/sources.list .

> The system will not let me edit fstab even though I am "root" and
> the disk is read/right.  Has anyone ever heard of this?

No, please give more information.

> I managed to install many packages using dpkg but this is definitely the
> hard way, right?

Yes...

> Using Apt how does one construct an install command from the package name.
> i.e.  if I have package foo-1.4.4.deb how do I get the package to install
> from cdrom using apt?

It doesn't work with the debs directly, apt-cdrom and then apt-get install
<package name> .

> Also, lastly, is there an X server that works with the GForce2 video in my
> new G4?

4.x (in testing or unstable) has the nv driver, but I wouldn't expect that to
work on PPC yet. You'll most likely have to use an fbdev server. Does rivafb
work?