Re: MacOS floppy creation

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:04:53AM -0500, Craig S. Cottingham wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 29, 2001, at 09:00 , Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > i wonder what level of hardware access you can get from macperl under
> > macos... might be a quick way to implement a simple dd without having
> > to learn about the crufty macos APIs.
>
> Not low-level enough, is my gut feeling. I don't recall seeing
> any modules for MacPerl for reading and writing the floppy drive
> directly. There's the usual file copy stuff, but that's at the
> volume level, not the disk level. Besides, as you intimated
> before, MacPerl is an awful lot of software to be installing for
> such a little purpose.

agreed.

> I'm toying with the idea of volunteering to write dd/rawrite for
> Mac OS. I still have most of the Inside Macintosh manuals, and
> might have one last hurrah before disposing of them or giving
> them away. The biggest unknown is just how much of my spare time
> I'm willing to give up. :-)

well like i said, it need not be pretty or fancy, just needs to put up
a open dialog, or ask the user to type a path, and take whatever they
gave you and burn to to the floppy disk (well maybe a check to see
that the file is 1.44MB..).  i wouldn't think that would be too
complicated but you never know..

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/