Re: Specific literature/HOWTOs? .. and a comment

Hello!
I'm new as well but doing it since halfe a year, so lets try:

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 06:03:13PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we managed yesterday to install potato base (2.2 r3) on a really
> stubborn slot-in iMac. Several things still need to be fixed.
Congrets!

www.penguinppc.org
www.linuxppc.org
www.xfree.org

> These are the things to be addressed:
>
> The console is cut off at the left margin. So it is not possible to see
> the prompt. How to fix this?
You can fix this in the XF86Config in the monitor-section
(A good and short explanation concerning XF86Config you can find in M. Kofler, Linux; but I'm shure there is something on xfree.org)

> At the moment the keyboard is set to US, but sure I would prefer the
> key settings to correspond to what is written on the keyboard (German
> standard) instead of searching for slash, backslash or @ all the
> time. Unfortunately no option for German key settings was offered during
> install.
kbdconfig on konsole
Keyboard-Section in XF86Config

> Perhaps a comment on the base install procedure:
>
> We needed quite a while to install potato on the iMac. Basically the
> problem seems to be incorporated in mac-fdisk. It partitioned the
> harddisk according to the needs, but afterwards the install script could
> not initialize and activate those partitions (We used option C to do
> so). In the end we used "Laufwerke konfigurieren" (the MacOS tool) to
> partition the harddisk. From that point on it worked out.

Look at http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson
Basically you have to create a boot-partitio with the "type" bootstrap with mac-fdisk -C. Search also the archives of this list they are of great value!

I hope this helps a little

--
mfg

Georg Koss