Re: MacOS floppy creation

On Tuesday, May 29, 2001, at 09:00 , Ethan Benson wrote:

i wonder what level of hardware access you can get from macperl under
macos... might be a quick way to implement a simple dd without having
to learn about the crufty macos APIs.

Not low-level enough, is my gut feeling. I don't recall seeing any modules for MacPerl for reading and writing the floppy drive directly. There's the usual file copy stuff, but that's at the volume level, not the disk level. Besides, as you intimated before, MacPerl is an awful lot of software to be installing for such a little purpose.

I'm toying with the idea of volunteering to write dd/rawrite for Mac OS. I still have most of the Inside Macintosh manuals, and might have one last hurrah before disposing of them or giving them away. The biggest unknown is just how much of my spare time I'm willing to give up. :-)

--
Craig S. Cottingham
cottingham@mac.com