No more smileys (was Re: Woody Impressions)

"Colin Walters" <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> jason@openinformatics.com (Jason E. Stewart) writes:
>
> > Two annoying things about recent versions of Gnus:
> > * I can't turn off emoticons (and it looks really stupid in source
> >   code patches)
>
> Does (setq gnus-treat-display-smiles nil) do the trick?

(setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil) worked, much obliged. I somehow
mistook smileys for picons and turning off picons didn't get rid of
the smileys...

> > * It turns on reading of HTML'ized mail by default (and I can't
> > figure out how to turn it off).
>
> How about:
>
> (setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

That also did the trick. I used to use tm, but when I upgraded Gnus
recently MIME had changed all around.

> BTW, there is the g.e.gnus newsgroup, as well as the ding mailing
> list...

Only so much one human being can do in a day. Stopped reading news a
year or so ago, and monitoring another list seems like too much, even
for something as important as Gnus. My trouble had not reached my pain
threshold yet, and then someone on debian-ppc goes and mentions how
excellent Gnus is, and voila!, problem solved.

Thanks for the help,
jas.