Re: Woody Impressions

[I'd quote your original message, but I'm using Mozilla, which can't do that. :-( ]

On RedHat, I mentioned it because when I was deciding whether to switch to Mozilla, their decision to drop NS4.x in favor of Mozilla had just been announced, lending creditibily to the new platform. A lot of the point of my last post was, "In spite of this endorsement, it's still not ready for prime-time."

On memory hogging, I don't believe this is because of memory caching; if this were the case then it would load the memory-cached files a whole lot faster than it does, right? The amazing speed of the rendering engine is due to, well, the amazing speed of the rendering engine. :-)

On modularization, if you look in /usr/lib/mozilla/components, you see a ton of miscellaneous .so files which are loaded as needed. I think it's quite modularized, resulting in some memory savings when you only use a few components. I don't believe these components are unloaded when not needed, hence the memory hogging. And it doesn't help that it starts by default in Mail/News, so those components are loaded at startup even if you just want to use the browser...

Caveat: The above is all based on circumstantial evidence, such as runtime debugging messages; I am no Mozilla expert.

Oh- a couple more Mozilla goodies: more markup of text emails, like stuff *between asterisks* is made bold, signature text after and including a -- line is grey, and emoticons are displayed as cute pixmaps. Okay, I'm a sucker for eye candy, then complain about bloatednes; so sue me. :-)

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>