Re: Woody Impressions

Hello,

Re Netscape->Mozilla, just one warning to Netscape Mail users:

            *** DON'T SWITCH TO MOZILLA! ***

At least, not yet. I made this mistake, and want to warn everyone else not to, as loudly as possible. Mozilla is approaching stability, but it is not there yet, it is not beta quality, it is barely alpha quality.

Why? The mail browser is painfully slow, it can take ten to twenty seconds just to switch folders, or file messages. This is true on my 160 MHz 603e, but also on a Celeron 333 laptop. The widgets are *all* very slow, on the browser or the mail windows, because they open GTK+ widgets and then draw their own on top. Everything is slow, except the rendering engine, whose dynamic re-layout of pages is quite impressive (even on the 603e, and this is a huge win with any system using a modem), but everything else is quite slow. Like, why does it take so much longer than Netscape to load pages, even from the disk, when it can lay them out so fast?

Moving on, Mozilla imports your old Netscape settings and email, but doesn't yet import your old Netscape address book, or your old Netscape Mail filters. (The former can be exported from Netscape to a .ldif, then imported into Mozilla, the latter has to be imported by hand!) Searching the address book is terrible, you pretty much have to scroll up and down until you find what you want (unlike Netscape's awesome isearch-like facility). The program is a MEMORY HOG, eating 25-30 MB at startup and growing to 50-70 MB over time, so swapping stuff in and out is a lot of what kills its performance (especially on my 64 MB laptop). And it never seems to free memory, even when you quit all windows except one; Netscape was the same way, like one big memory leak. What happened to promises of fast and lean?

And it gets worse. There is no way to quote original messages in a reply. Password Manager is broken, it does not remember POP passwords, and does not seem to remember any others- View Stored Passwords does absolutely nothing. If you do not visit an old Mail folder before filtering mail into it, Mozilla will often disregard the old stuff there and build its summary file from only the new stuff, so when you visit the folder, it will look like it only has the new messages. This is okay, just quit Mozilla, delete the corresponding .msf file, restart, visit the folder, and it will generate a new .msf from scratch with old and new messages.

The worst: I tried to compact all folders, and Mozilla crashed partway, deleting one of my folders! Fortunately I still had the old Netscape folder around, so I copied it in, visited it, and all was well- except the last ten days' worth of email that had filtered into that folder! I've generated crashes so many ways I've lost count.

A number of other things are not quite as broken, just "different", enough to be annoying (like, going through an extra layer of folders when you try to file messages, useless "Local Folders", no ShockWave plugin, pays no attention to "Prefers HTML" address book field, asks you whether you still want to use this application to open this mime type- *every time* you load a file of that type, etc.). But there are just enough new features to counteract those differences and make it worth it once it's all stable (like the amazing layout engine, a "Prefers plain text" address book field, uh, there were some others but I forgot them). And I've found it to be *almost* as stable on PPC as on Intel, which is pretty significant!

So Mozilla is not at all beta quality, rumors to the contrary notwithstanding. RedHat will someday replace Netscape 4.x with it, but not now, not until a lot of these issues are resolved- at least if they're smart. It is slow, Slow, SLOW, a memory PIG, and not at all stable enough to be considered "beta" quality.

You've been warned.

Zeen,

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>