Re: Problems with limited numbers of partitions

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 05:15:44PM +1000, Ross Hamilton wrote:

> > ... i think your idea that your limited to 15 partitions is
> > erroneous.
> >

> I have been living under the same impression as the original poster. The
> following is from the pdisk manual entry:
>
>         Creating  more  than  fifteen  partitions  is not advised.
>         There is currently a bug in the some (all?) of the kernels
>         which  causes  access  to the whole disk fail if more than
>         fifteen partitions are in the map.

yeah well look at the date of the man page:

MkLinux DR2              20 December 1996

> I am sure the debian mac-fdisk man page contains the same caveat
> (certainly we have been advised on this list that they are versions of one
> and the same program).
>
> Granted, the above reference to "the kernel" is ambiguous; in likelyhood
> the author means mach rather than linux. For safety's sake, however, I am
> inclined to respect the suggested limit. Probably anyone multi-booting
> with MacOSX or other BSD-derivative would be advised to do the same until
> this situation is better clarified.

i don't know for sure, but i know of people who have been running with
more then 15 partitions.  i don't have a spare IDE disk to test with.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/