Re: Problems with limited numbers of partitions

... i think your idea that your limited to 15 partitions is
erroneous.

I have been living under the same impression as the original poster. The following is from the pdisk manual entry:

       Creating  more  than  fifteen  partitions  is not advised.
       There is currently a bug in the some (all?) of the kernels
       which  causes  access  to the whole disk fail if more than
       fifteen partitions are in the map.

I am sure the debian mac-fdisk man page contains the same caveat (certainly we have been advised on this list that they are versions of one and the same program).

Granted, the above reference to "the kernel" is ambiguous; in likelyhood the author means mach rather than linux. For safety's sake, however, I am inclined to respect the suggested limit. Probably anyone multi-booting with MacOSX or other BSD-derivative would be advised to do the same until this situation is better clarified.

-R.