Re: debian-powerpc: booting a PowerBook Titanium G4

make sure you do it right: http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

> What is the easiest way to do this ?  Will the PowerPC CD image boot the
> Titanium ???  To install on the G3 I had to copy kernels and other files

if you add video=ofonly as a kernel argument when the yaboot boot:
prompt comes up it should.  potato r2 CDs will not, but r3 should be
fine.

yes: http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/netboot.shtml

> To partition I need to use mac-fdisk which means I have to boot linux.

yup see mac-fdisk-basics

> I have a 2.4.2 kernel and the ramdisk.image.gz file from 2.2r3 in the
> root directory of my MacOS partition.  Is this all I need ?  I tried
> typing "boot hd:10,vmlinux-2.4.2-bjs" and OF responded with "CLAIM
> failed".  Does this mean it could not claim the memory ???  I've tried
> with root=/dev/ram and initrd=ramdisk.image.gz but the same error
> occurs.  It seems the kernel isn't loading at all.

OF cannot boot kernels directly, you must boot via yaboot.

> Any ideas ???

see above

> Is there an easier way ???

boot from the CD, at the yaboot boot: prompt hit tab, then type the
*ed image name, and video=ofonly

probably:

boot: linux video=ofonly

> Any howtos for Titanium ???